expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Chicken Rice Kanji or Porridge




One dish that I often make during Ramadan…
Hope everyone is having a blessed Ramadan. Since it’s summer we are having long fasting periods, here sun sets at 9 pm. For me observing the fast is not a big deal, but as soon as I break the fast and eat something my stomach feels blotted. I have been experiencing this for the past few days and I have not been able to eat much. Only one dish that I can possibly consume without much problem is rice porridge or kanji. This is a must dish for me during Ramadan. Also, by having porridge my body is well hydrated. There are different types of porridge that’s famous in my hometown, one of the porridges that’s often made in my family is Creamy Rice Soup or Ramadan Kanji.
To make the porridge even more rich and flavorful, I added chicken to it. Along with chicken and other spices, the porridge tasted delicious and a couple of bowls of this soup will provide me with enough energy during Ramadan.
Chicken Rice Kanji
Ingredients:
To cook rice and chicken:
  • Chicken, cut small- 2 chicken breasts
  • White Rice, (ponni or sona masoori)- 1 1/2 cups
  • Onion, chopped small- 1
  • Tomato, chopped- 1
  • Chilly powder- 2 tsp
  • Turmeric powder- 1/2 tsp
  • Fennel powder- 2 tsp (roast the fennel seeds and grind it to fine powder)
  • Coriander powder- 1 tsp
  • Garam masala- 1 tsp
  • Water- 2  1/2 cups
  • Salt- to taste
After cooking rice:
  • Coconut milk- 1 can or 400 ml
  • Water- 1 1/2 cups or more to thin down
  • Cilantro, chopped- 1/3 cup
  • Salt- if needed
Preparation:
  1. In a pressure cooker or large pot, combine rice and chicken along with the above mentioned spice powders, onion, tomato and 2 1/2 cups water.
  2. Cook the rice and chicken till it has cooked well.
  3. If using pressure cooker cook till 2-3 whistles.
  4. After the rice and chicken have cooked well, add coconut milk and combine well.
  5. Add 1 1/2 cups or more water to thin it down.
  6. Have a taste, add salt according to your needs
  7. If you need more spice add chilly powder at this point.
  8. Add chopped cilantro to it and let the porridge come to a boil.
  9. Remove from the heat.
  10. Serve warm in a soup bowl.
Tips:
  • When the porridge gets cold it will thicken up, so before you serve heat the porridge with little water if you prefer or just serve as thick soup.
  • Leftover can be refrigerated and heat it before serving it.