During Ramzan fasting season, one dish I look forward to while breaking the fast is Creamy Rice soup. There are different ways of making this. Here I am posting a quick and easy recipe, which is a really comfort soup not just for Ramzan, but for any time.
Creamy Rice Soup or Ramadan Kanji or Nombu Kanji
To cook Rice:
- Rice-1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds- 1 tsp
- Garlic minced- 1 tsp
- Salt- 1/2 tsp
- Water-2 cups
- Coconut shredded( fresh or frozen)- 1 cup
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
- Water- 1 cup + 1/2 more cup
- Coconut milk-1 cup
- Salt- as required
- In a pressure cooker, cook the rice along with the above mentioned ingredients “to cook rice”.
- In a blender, grind the grated coconut with cumin seeds and turmeric powder along with 1 cup of water, don’t make it into a smooth paste, this grinding is to get the coconut milk out of it.
- Pour the ground mixture into a strainer and pour the coconut milk to the cooked rice.
- Grind the strained coconut one more time with 1/2 cup water and strain the coconut milk to the cooked rice
- Combine well and add the coconut milk.
- Heat the mixture, but don’t over boil the soup.
- Add more salt based on your needs.
- Serve hot in a soup bowl and serve it with pickle of your choice.